Search This Blog

Wednesday 11 October 2017

Rage page - national what day?

Is everyday of the year now a national day of some sort. Yesterday was national mental health day and although it's worthwhile highlighting that mental illness is a plight that noone should be ashamed of I'm unsure why it has a day? Just like today which according to my Facebook homepage is national girls day. This is girls day, not woman's day which is March but what's the difference and why does EVERYTHING have a day.

Surely if we naming days it should be for something monumental or world changing? There are national squirrel appreciation days, national talk like Yoda days, take your pants for a walk day (according to www.timeanddate.com this dates back to before 10 BC in China) and all other random days. How many days commemorate the real moments in history? On the 9th November 1989 the Berlin wall was torn down. There is no day to commemorate that and whether you know the significance of this event or not everyone is aware this is one of the many big moments in history.

The reformation was another big change in history which from my brief research (this morning on the train on Google) only Germany commemorates? This event changed the world as we know it, taking power away from the Catholic church who back then reigned supreme over all countries and gave religion to the masses. I'd happily commemorate this day.

Don't get me wrong... I don't hate all these holidays as some are fun like bring your 🐕 to work day and national talk like a pirate day (which when I was a teen a friend of mine tired to do all day). These days a light hearted and silly but I still can't fathom why they exist and why we know about them.

If you google national days you'll see there are so many that they are almost everyday with there being numerous national days which clash! Facebook is always trying to tell me what I should be celebrating but it's so often now I ignore the reminders which is a pity as I may miss some of the more worthwhile ones like  world cancer Day, Holocaust memorial day, world book Day and many more.

Well rage over for now. Hope you enjoyed and do tell me your thoughts on all these national days.

Peace out ☮️✌️🕊️🏳️

No comments:

Post a Comment