Search This Blog

Sunday 11 February 2018

The chronicles of trying to be more woman - Episode 21 - new year, new hair

It's been well over a year since my last hair cut, let alone last time my hair was dyed. New year, new hair seemed appropriate. 


In the past I've been adventurous with hair colours and cuts. I always want a fringe even though I am well aware that they never really suit me. Ok not true. I have fat round face syndrome (ok, I eat alot so my face is fat) and along with my fine, thin hair it means I can't carry off most hair styles. Bearing this in mind I am often left dissatisfied post hair cut. It's even more disappointing when I've paid a tremendous amount for my haircut and then not liked the outcome. 


On the flip side I've had many a great hairstyle. Some of the colourful looks were some of my favourites (as approved by my line manager who call it my happy hair) but these days as I creep closer to 30 I feel like I need to have more mature hair and I haven't had such wild looks. These days it's all about a ballyage and highlights, rather than flashes of pink and purple.


Finding a new hairdresser for me has always been a mission. Back when I lived with my parents I never found a hairdresser I loved so I got my hair done in different hairdressers every single time. This lead to some pretty bad haircuts. My mum's old hairdressers always had me leaving with hair flicked out at the ends like some 90's throwback. Another hairdresser once attempted neon pink highlights but left me with pale pink, barely noticeable ill placed streaks throughout. I had some successes with some hairdressers back then, like rush in Bromley who gave my chocolate brown hair with purple underneath. Til this day that was the best hair colour I ever had BUT the cut there wasn't great so.....


Once I moved out a new hairdressers opened up near work which offered local businesses a discount. I thought "what's the harm" and gave them a go...... And so a love story between me and my hairdresser Sam began. Sam's helped me achieve some great cuts and colours over the years. She gave me my first ballyage and talked me out of some pretty hideous ideas too. I always left so happy after having her cuts but alas.... She left the salon after a good 4 year run we had together. I booked up last time to have her only to be told when I arrived the next day for my appointment that she had left 3 months ago (oh yeah, didn't I mention that I generally get one cut a year). The new fella who did the cut on her place did not wow and the price of the cut was way too much for something I just "didn't mind".


So the hunt began this year when I decided it was time for a cut and colour after a years wait. The cut was never going to be a drastic one as I'm trying to grow my hair out but I did want a little shaping advice. Colour wise I wanted some white highlights... Why, I do not know but this is what I wanted.
Since rush Bromley did well with colour I decided to take a chance in the Maidstone branch of rush. I found a 50% off voucher online and so I booked in with a style director (because why not) meaning I was paying more or less what I would have paid in London.  First great indicator of a good hairdresser... She told me my idea was too drastic and would look cheap. I want my hairdressers to tell me what looks bad because I trust that they know best. When a hairdresser does exactly what I say it makes me nervous because history tells me my ideas need toning down before application. Secondly, she had the level of chat JUST right. She didn't force conversation but she did tentatively try to initiate conversation. Im a chatty bitch so of course I chatted away but sometimes even I want quiet time and she would leave me to it when the time was right.


The idea of a style I initially went in with was, highlights to blend into my 2 year old ballyage but extreme highlights being mainly white with a trim and perhaps some shaping. So with this idea she toned back my highlights and added some other tones, but not many white highlights, mainly making the highlights honey colours. She did a trim and shaping to just the level which suited. She didn't force any product on me which was definitely refreshing though she did recommend some shampoo which will keep the blonde brighter. This recommendation also included "don't buy it in store here, it's even cheaper on our website". It's nice to know she acknowledges her store prices were extortionate.


So... How does it look? I will show you but first.... How did it look before?

Then during.....






Now the grand reveal that is... After......

Since I have taken the bold move to share this look with the world via the blog, you can take that as i do indeed love the new colour/cut. Jade is my new hairdresser and should you be in Maidstone needing a cut, do visit her at Rush.

Hope you enjoyed this installment of trying to be more woman. 


That's all I have for now. Peace out ☮️✌️


2 comments:

  1. Lovely blonde your hair looks so soft healthy and natural thanks for the tip

    ReplyDelete